Monday, August 30, 2010

Oh, Ovaries...

I'm sitting up in bed, surrounded by things that are supposed to make me feel better: A good book, chicken noodle soup, crackers, ginger, popcorn, Norco, and my cell phone.  Since Friday I've been a bit under the weather.
It started out with a sharp, almost cramp-like pain in one distinct spot in my lower abdomen when I would pee.  Usually it would go away after I finished up.  Later that night the pain was continuous.  I asked Kevin to pick up some pure cranberry juice, thinking maybe it was my kidney (even though I'd never had a UTI with pain in the front, before).  The next day was pretty normal but with pain.  I went to the gym and spent a half hour on the arch trainer.  This hurt, but I ignored it.  I spent most of the afternoon just chilling on the couch with a general condition of feeling like poo.  Finally, after some WebMD searching, I became a bit afraid that it may be my appendix which was hurting.  We went to Urgent Care first (who told us it looked like my appendix but that I should go to the ER) and they weren't super helpful, aside from giving me a wheel chair ride over to the hospital.
Anywho, after a CT and an ultrasound (the kind where they stick the wand up your woowoo... ouch) they finally ruled out my appendix and found a nice little (big) cyst on my right ovary.  It was the kind that bled a little bit.  Well, I was sent home with a prescription for Norco (Basically, two Vicodins) and ibuprofen and told to get an ultrasound in six weeks.
Did I mention I've puked three times since then?  We were in the ER from around 3 pm- Midnight.  No food.  I was getting a bit hangry.  After standing up to get dressed and almost passing out I sent Kevin to find a vending machine.  I needed a candy bar- fast.  All was fine and dandy until I got in the car.  Yikes.  We finally found me a burger to take home.
At home I first puked up the candy bar and the fries, then I told myself that I'm sure that puking "helped" and that I could eat my burger.  No bueno.
Then yesterday my diet consisted on popcorn and crackers until dinner, when I decided I could handle some Mediterranen Chicken Delit pizza from Papa Murphy's.  I was sooo hungry.  I bet I would have been fine, except I went for a third slice.  That one did me in.  :(
So today I'm being extra careful.  I'm hoping to be able to eat a turkey burger this evening.  Cross your fingers for me!
Also- did I mention how FABULOUS Kevin is?  I'm very lucky to have married a man who can take care of me when I'm sick.  He doesn't handle the vomit too well, but he can at least take my puke bucket out to the dumpster. 
A big shout out to Cassie, too, who brought me the book Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (the author of the Time Traveler's Wife) from Powell's.  I didn't think I would have time to read it back when I was feeliig well.  Now I'm overrun with free time.
School starts on Friday, but I have a couple meetings I have to go to on Wednesday.  Here's hoping I can walk easily by then!

2 comments:

  1. Ouch!! Hope you will be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Kara, you have experienced so much in your young life. You are an inspiration, I love reading your facebook posts. Thinking of your and hoping you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete