Friday, June 24, 2011

Guest Post- Spinach and Skittles and a curry recipe two-fer!

Hello lupies, family, and friends!  My hubby and I arrived in beautiful San Diego last night this morning at around 1:30 am to celebrate our two year anniversary.  While I'm gone I may do some blogging, but I've learned over time that it's good to ask for some help.  
Leila's recipe contains curry- one of my favorite spice mixtures that contains turmeric.  Now, turmeric is a BOMB spice with lots of medical benefits thanks to an active ingredient called curcumin.  (My husband Kevin, making his first guest appearance on the blog:  "Also, it's real bomb at staining white counter tops.")  Freaking white counter tops.  I digress, as I always do... Curcumin is an extremely powerful anti-inflammatory and cancer fighter to boot.  My homeslice- Chef MD, can back me up.
Enjoy!  And THANK YOU Leila!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Howdy y'all, I'm Leila, and I have a (trying to be) healthy living blog over at Spinach and Skittles. Kara and I met on The Knot while we were planning our weddings. Last week she was kind enough to do a guest post for me, so this week I'm returning the favor. Today I have a yummy curry dressing recipe to share with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Ever since eating the Creamy Curry Salad at The Elk my senior year of college I've been in love with curry as a salad dressing base. I tried to recreate it in my younger years, but each attempt yielded very little pleasure to my palate. But last week when I visited Winthrop, WA I encountered yet another creamy curry dressing. Only this time coconut milk was involved.
Be still my heart!
I spent my last evening in Winthrop dissecting the dressing, trying to determine what the ingredients were. Upon returning home, I quickly got to work in my kitchen, adjusting ingredients until I had the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. Unfortunately, I didn't have any coconut milk in my pantry, and I was too lazy to run to the store. So I used honey instead, and it worked quite well. But next time I think I'll sub half the Greek yogurt, and all of the honey, for an equal amount of coconut milk. If you test it out before me, let me know how it tastes.

Creamy Curry Dressing

Serves: 3 (4 TBS; 1 TBS + 1 tsp per serving)
Nutritionals: Cal: 40, Carb: 5g, Fat: 2g, Pro: 1g
Ingredients
3 TBS Greek Yogurt
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1.5 TBS Honey
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Directions
Combine all ingredients, except EVOO, and mix well. Slowly add EVOO, mixing until emulsified. Serve over your favorite salad or use to marinade your chicken, fish, or tofu.
I chose to make a creamy curry salad mixture, which I used as a filling for a wrap (with the best tortillas ever) the first day, and as a salad my second day. Watch out, this is a two-fer recipe post!

Creamy Curry Garbanzo Salad

Ingredients
2 TBS Creamy Curry Dressing (above)
2-3 cups Spinach
1/2 Cup Garbanzo Beans (rinsed, drained)
4 Grape Tomatoes, diced
2 TBS Walla Walla Sweet Onion, diced (can sub red onion)
2 TBS Orange Bell Pepper, diced (can sub red or yellow)
1 oz Goat Cheese
Directions
Combine all ingredients, coating well with the creamy curry dressing. Split evenly between two tortillas, or add more spinach and eat as a salad.
What is your favorite curry recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment