Sunday, May 1, 2011

Easy Chicken Mole!

Cinco de Mayo is coming up.  If I remember my Spanish classes from fourth grade, the fifth of May is when the underdogs (the Mexican forces) beat out France's invasion troops.  Or something like that.  I figure on the first day of May they were in the process of beating the French, so May 1-5th can be a time to eat yummy Mexican food.  Also, I forgot that May 1st is May Day and even if I did, I couldn't think of a food to celebrate rebirth anyway.

So here is my Easy Chicken Mole Recipe.  I think it would serve around eight if I made it correctly.  Tonight I had twice as much sauce as necessary so I'm going to freeze the rest.  I used three boneless, skinless breasts and it made about four servings (two dinner size, two lunch size).

Easy Chicken Mole (Pretend that I was able to add the accent, please.)

2 Tbs olive oil                      1 can diced tomato
1 onion, chopped                  1 chopped bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced        2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
2 tbs chili powder                1 can chicken broth 
1 tsp cumin                           2 tbs peanut butter
½ tsp cinnamon                    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 (5 pound) chicken, cut into pieces, or chicken of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
As you're chopping everything, read ahead and realize that you're going to run everything through the blender anyway- so don't bother to make everything uniform like I did.  My arthritis-y hands always seem to suffer due to my perfectionism/inattention to detail. 
Heat oil in sauté pan over medium heat.  Add onion and sauté.  Add garlic, spices, and continue to sauté until onions are soft.  Add remaining ingredients except for the chicken.  "Accidentally" drop a few chocolate chips onto the counter.  Convince yourself that it would be sacrilegious to put it back in the bag or into the pot.  It would ruin the ingredients ratio.  Or something. Simmer 10 minutes.
Use immersion blender to smooth the mix.
Sear chicken in a heavy-bottomed skillet.  If you're cooking skinless chicken breasts like I was, don't bother, I didn't.
Add to casserole dish, cover with sauce, and braise for 45 minutes to an hour.

I served ours with brown rice and Hungry Girl margaritas.  I never know what kind of veggies to serve with Mexican food.  I kinda suck at side dishes in general. Lime juice is healthy, right?  Besides, I had a nice big salad for lunch.  I can't say the same for the hubby but his body is used to a lack of greens.
What are your go-to side dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment