Monday, September 12, 2011

MIA like a bad kid...

Well, I finished my time with CPS last week.  That kept me pretty busy, plus I had the pleasure of a FOUR DAY migraine.  Lord knows why... maybe car accident, maybe lupus, maybe bad karma... Looking at a computer screen made my head explode, so after long days of work (by long I mean three or four hours, seriously, my head was killing me) I would come home to a darkened apartment and watch several hours of Charmed.  With puppy snuggles.

I'm not proud to admit I like this show, but it's real good bad television.
Thankfully, Saturday saw the end of the super migraine.  That gave me the chance to truly enjoy my weekend with my hubby and enjoy the opening Sunday of football!
I made:
Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
Recipe
And tri-tip sandwiches with horseradish sauce.  I made a delicious marinade out of red wine, some balsamic vinegar, seasonings, and a bit of Worcestershire.  It got happy in the fridge for over 24 hours, and then the love of my life grilled it to a delish medium rare.
That's right, my baby can grill.  
Yesterday marked a very important day for me.  As a day of sandwiches, spinach dip, and spirited drinking (GO SEAHAWKS!), I ingested a ton of carbs of the gluten variety.  I've decided to give gluten-free eating a shot.
Could I have picked a worse Monday to start?  Today I started a 64 hour Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention Training.  Ka-blammo, that sounds intense, huh?
Breakfast was two hastily peeled hard-boiled eggs and a banana, eaten in my car.  I peeled them at home, just to clarify.  That would NOT be safe.
As for lunch, I always have difficulties in these situations.  You really can't count on a microwave being at the training center, and eating out would be expensive, fattening, and gluten-filled.  So, I took some very responsible measures...
I prepared by whipping up a delicious rotisserie chicken:

Slaved my fingers to the bone, I did....
And then making a bit pot of quinoa, and buying a ridiculous amount of salad fixin's: I got a Parisian salad blend, a pack of romaine, spring mix, arugula, cucumbers, olives, sliced roasted almonds, and shredded carrots.  As soon as I got the chicken out of the oven (*ahem*) I shredded all of the breast meat and carved the dark meat for lunches for my Kevin.  Before bed last night, I assembled most of the salad, storing the quinoa and chicken in a baggie separate from the salad.  The result?  Well, it was me sitting alone in the training room eating a huge salad.  But, it was very delicious AND I didn't end up feeling bad about myself.
I rounded out my day with snacks of hummus (which tasted off) with (stale) tortilla chips and one of my new favorite flavors of Larabar.

It really tastes exactly like a lemon bar.  it's very tasty.  Plus, dates, lemon, cashews, almonds.  That's it.  Can't get more pure than that.
I have to say, though, that after having a major carb binge yesterday I was starving.  That gods some genius found the time to throw a pot roast in the crockpot before leaving the house.  
Pay attention, everyone:
Pot Roast Recipe:  
Glug some red wine (leave yourself a glass for dinner) and some low sodium beef broth into the bottom of your crockpot.  Add a few thyme sprigs, some red pepper flakes, and a couple bay leaves.  Dig through cupboards and find an onion soup mix.  Read that it's also gluten-free, then do a little dance. Salt and pepper a big hunk o' meat.  Chuck, preferably.  Sear on both sides in your shitty apartment kitchen, risking setting off the smoke detectors at 6:30 in the morning.  After searing, put in the crockpot.  Top with onions, then quartered yukon golds, then a ton of baby carrots, and some whole mushrooms.  Cook on low for seven hours- or whenever you get home.  Enjoy with some Tony's.

Time to go spend some time with Kevin and a glass of wine.  I leave you with one last picture.... my nephew D has decided on his Halloween costume:

GAH!  So cute!  
Have a great week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment