Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ghetto as pho

It is plain ugly out today.  This is day two of rain, wind, and winter-like temps.  Yes, I'm aware that it's still technically winter.  But this season is usually a lot more tolerable for me and my interconnective tissues.

Yes, I've been feeling like poop.  Coincidence?  I think not.  But, I've been trying not to dwell on the "why" aspect of my pain recently.  It causes more stress than it's worth.  So, I've been taking it easy, doing what I can to make our new, tiny apartment seem less cluttered.  

And then I get a call from Costco that my tires are in and they aren't too busy right now- if I'd like to venture out this afternoon.

So, to warm my insides (and quell my cravings for a Costco hot dog) I came up with a quick soup for lunch.

Ghetto as Pho

Ha ha, word play!
Warm 1.5 cups of homemade chicken stock in the microwave until lukewarm.  Add dried mung bean threads you found in your "pantry" (it's my old office bookcase...with jars and stuff on it...in our dining room).  Microwave two minutes.  Stir.  Add shredded cabbage (a couple good handfuls) and diced leftover rotisserie chicken (maybe a couple ounces).  Microwave another minute.  Add frozen peas- one big stuck-together clump should do it.  One minute more.  Throw some rooster sauce on there and a small spoonful of hoisin.  Eye a half of a lime that you left on the counter overnight, then squeeze it over the top for good measure.  Ignore your shame.  Eat out of the Pyrex with chopsticks and feel fancy.

Yes- as you may notice from the picture- my task for today was to go through all my old Bon Appetit issues and throw them out after clipping the recipes and articles from them that I cared to save.  No, apparently this did not inspire a more gourmet lunch. 

Which I'm totally okay with.  

Because I have happy soup belly.

Have a nice day.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment